This is well worth it!
Knowing who you are is hard- eliminating who you are not first!
Getting What You Want
What would you like to do or accomplish? Run your own business, make a million dollars, get a job in a particular industry, have a relationship or get married, how about build muscle or lose weight?
Whatever it is that you want to do or accomplish can be done if you simply know what to do. In today’s fast paced and sophisticated world we tend to over complicate things. We think the path to success is some sort of mystery only to be unlocked by the lucky few, or those willing to sacrifice all else in their life. Or, we believe the path must take many years of failure before we can arrive at the promised land.
This is not the case at all. Rather, You simply need to know what to do and do it. Can it really that simple? Well, yes and no. This is one of those “simple but not easy” things. Just about anything you want to do or accomplish has most likely already been done or accomplished. Why not study up on what others have done and follow in their footsteps. Do what they did that worked and avoid what they did that failed. Do not fall prey to the trap that you have to be a trail blazer. That will only cost you time and mental anguish. Do not be so arrogant as to believe you already know what to do, or worse, to believe you can do it better. All you have to do, is do what others have done, and you to will have success.
If you want to run a business, who else is already running that type of business. If you want to make a million dollars- study who has made a million dollars (or more!). If you want a particular job, seek out who has that type of job. If you want to have a relationship or get married, look to those who have a relationship like you want. Want health and fitness, go find healthy people. Those people know exactly what you need to know. Those people did exactly what you need to do. Why make it harder than it needs to be. Follow the trail, it is the most efficient and effective way to your destination!
Here are five ways to follow the trail and to know what to do. I encourage you to pick one or more, or even all of them, and go make your dreams come true.
1. WATCH – Carefully observe those people that have done what you want to do or have what you want and then do what they do. Copy what works. Do not be a trailblazer, follow the proven path. Be careful here, the idea is not to watch and not do. It is to watch and then do!
2. ASK – Why guess when you can know? Ask the people that have done what you want to do and have what you want to have, how they did it. What exactly are they doing and then do it. (I repeat that last part so you don’t skip past it– then do it!) From my personal experience, 8 out of 10 people will happily share more than you can ever imagine. I find the more successful people are, the more they share. Helpful tip- flattery goes a long long way!
- LEARN– Hire a consultant or trainer to show you how to do it. Take a class. Then, do what they teach you. (Again, I repeat- do what they teach you!) Today there are numerous opportunities to learn. From formal schooling, online courses, and webinars to a massive consulting industry of experts that can teach you.
- READ– Read a how-to book. Then do what you read. There are close to 130 million books in the world. There are likely many books, that can show you exactly what you need to do to get exactly what you want. Said another way- read it and do it!
5. PAY – Hire someone to do it for you. There are some things you may want to accomplish that you can simply hire someone to do it for you. This is particularly true in business, where many key activities can be delegated to experts. It’s a little harder in other areas, like health and fitness. Hiring someone to work out for you might not be your best move.
When you know what to do to accomplish your dreams, all you have to do is to follow the words from the old Nike commercials and just do it! If you’re not doing what you know will get you what you want, ask yourself why? Perhaps it’s not what you really want. Or perhaps you might have to go to work on yourself before you’re ready to work on your dreams.